Oooooh, I hate that phrase….
Some people hate the sound of nails on a chalkboard. Well, I’m the “can’t” police!!! GRRRRR!!!
Obviously, I know there are times when this particular word should be used, but it’s used all too often and in ways it should never be spoken aloud.
Ways to use the word can’t appropriately are:
- I can’t eat shellfish because I’m allergic to it.
- I can’t stand the word can’t.
- I can’t eat any more chocolate because I’m stuffed to the gills and I want to save room for ice cream.
Number three is my favorite!
Can’t is a four letter word (yes, I’m grouping it in with profanity) that when used properly will enhance our experiences and keep us from trouble.
However, most of the time the word “can’t” signifies a more apt phrase: I’m just not going to because I don’t want to.
Yikes! Way to tell it like it is, Meg!
I would dare to say that using the word “can’t” makes our lives easier sometimes because it gives us a mighty excuse to get out of doing things that are hard, make us uncomfortable or hinder our own agenda.
The problem lies in the excuse for things we actually should be doing. Be honest. You know you’ve said you can’t do something when you know well enough that you could and should.
We are human. We fail time and again and pretty often to boot!
The good news is that we are led by an Almighty Father who CAN!!! In fact, read the following scriptures that express how much He can and WILL!
- But Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” Matthew 19:26
- For nothing will be impossible with God. Luke 1:37
- Ah, Lord God! It is you who have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and by your outstretched arm! Nothing is too hard for you. Jeremiah 32:17
- Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us…. Ephesians 3:20
- Is anything too hard for the Lord? At the appointed time I will return to you, about this time next year, and Sarah shall have a son. Genesis 18:14
Dare to say that you CAN. And then DO IT knowing that you are backed by a powerful God who wants you to be His child and live in His Grace forever!
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t–you’re right.” – Henry Ford
Some Wisdom for Today: Proverbs 1:23 – If you turn at my reproof, behold, I will pour out my spirit to you; I will make my words known to you.