The tongue is a critical piece to the human body. It helps us taste, swallow, talk and clean our teeth. Just with these basic functions of this multi-faceted muscle; we can enjoy dinner, conversation and a bright smile! The tongue is sounding pretty fantastic…until we use it for evil!!! (Insert scary music!)
By evil, I mean the words we say out loud others.
Words are powerful. They have the ability to help or hurt on the turn of a dime and once they are put out into the universe, they cannot be taken back. Don’t you wish they could? Lord knows I sure do!
I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned. Matthew 12:36-37
I’ve always heard that actions speak louder than words, but words can cut to the quick and they will get us in deep do-do if we don’t keep them in check.
In fact, God tells us over and over to watch what we say. He obviously is trying to TELL US SOMETHING! Sigh.
- And the tongue is a fire, a world of unrighteousness. The tongue is set among our members, staining the whole body, setting on fire the entire course of life, and set on fire by hell. For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and sea creature, can be tamed and has been tamed by mankind, but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so. James 3:6-10
- For “Whoever desires to love life and see good days, let him keep his tongue from evil and his lips from speaking deceit…. 1Peter 3:10
- If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person’s religion is worthless. James 1:26
- Whoever keeps his mouth and his tongue keeps himself out of trouble. Proverbs 21:23
- Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits. Proverbs 18:21
- But no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. James 3:8
- When words are many, transgression is not lacking, but whoever restrains his lips is prudent. Proverbs 10:19
Unfortunately, my tongue gets me in trouble often. Cursing, gossip, hatefulness and deceit are just a few of the things that have gushed out of my mouth on too many occasions to count. I try to bite it as much as I can, but sometimes it just starts wagging and I have a hard time getting it to stop!! UGH!!!!
Many times I will just go silent for fear that I will say something I might regret later. On the flip side, I’ve been accused of giving people the ‘silent treatment’. Sometimes I can’t win for losing.
In light of this very difficult problem with our blabber, I’ve come up with my TOP 3 tongue taming techniques!! They include:
- THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK.
- Say what you mean and mean what you say.
- Ask yourself if you would want someone to say the words coming out of your mouth to YOU.
Controlling and conquering the words that come out of our mouths will be a life-long battle, but we can do better and commit to giving it our best effort.
The truth is that I sure don’t want my words to cause someone else pain. Do you?
Some Wisdom for Today: Proverbs 10:8 – The wise of heart will receive commandments, but a babbling fool will come to ruin.