I have had a revelation.
Now, before I delve into the depth and width of this revelation, let’s define what I mean.
Webster’s New World Dictionary describes revelation as 1) a revealing, 2) something disclosed, and 3) God’s disclosure to humanity of himself. (Love No. 3)!
As you can see by the definition, a revelation doesn’t have to be about God, but in my life…revelations don’t come without some assistance from above.
Originally, today’s topic was about Revelations, the last book in the bible. However, after seeing the topic show up on my calendar, I decided that I’m going through my own kind of revelation and this intrigues me greatly.
As I re-read last Thursday’s blog about comparing oneself to others and wondering what path I’m supposed to be traveling, I realized that I am finally coming to grips with God’s plan for my life.
Honestly, I didn’t know I was having such a hard time with it in the first place, but after reviewing my history of jumping from one thing to the next, complaining during the down times and feeling dissatisfied on a regular basis – I think it is safe to say I’ve struggled with doing God’s will.
I’m most certainly getting better with staying on task these days because in times past when I would want to jump ship, feel dissatisfied or start complaining – the process could take DAYS or weeks to get through.
This time it took hours. Thank you, God.
In addition, contemplating God’s will for me never happened before four years ago – much less on a daily basis – until I actually started reading His Word.
- The one who rejects me and does not receive my words has a judge; the word that I have spoken will judge him on the last day. John 12:48
My revelation is that as much as reading the Bible sounded like a drag, scared me to death and looked like an antiquated book that didn’t apply to today’s world…it has revealed to me the secrets of life.
Yep! That’s right! I have found a few secrets in the last four years that have changed the way I act, react and respond to all of life’s situations.
- Wisdom. Never had this before. I’ve always been a fly by the seat of my pants kinda girl and took the consequences as they came. God’s Word has provided an insight that I have found nowhere else and it has helped me think before acting or speaking.
- Security. I used to think I had to earn God’s love, now I understand that I just have to receive His gift of salvation through Jesus Christ. He takes care of the rest.
- Hope. The world is full of sin, problems, sadness, hatred, evilness, death and destruction. Even though we live in this pit of despair – God has given us a way out. He’s provided a life of joy in the midst of trials, love in the midst of hatred and peace among the ciaos. WOW. He really does love us because we sure don’t act like we love Him. Sigh.
The Bible, as a whole, could have been aptly named Revelations because God reveals Himself on every page and in every book of the bible.
Reading the Bible never appealed to me because I didn’t understand it. And I surely didn’t want to break open the Book of Revelations.
I don’t know about you, but The Book of Revelations used to send a shiver of fear and panic up my spine every time I thought about reading it, contemplated the end the world, or considered my impending death. However, once I started reading and spending time with God, He began to use the secrets of wisdom, security and hope to take away the following troubles in my heart:
- Ignorance of God’s Will – God provided wisdom.
- Fear – God supplied His security.
- Despair – God bestowed upon me a hope that truly makes no sense to a world who doesn’t know Jesus Christ.
So, the true revelation of the day is that God will continue to reveal mysteries, disclose secrets and show Himself in our lives in a big way…as long as we continue to read His Word.
Well, how about that?!?!? Pretty cool!
Some Wisdom for Today: Proverbs 2:1-12 – My son, if you receive my words and treasure up my commandments with you, making your ear attentive to wisdom and inclining your heart to understanding; yes, if you call out for insight and raise your voice for understanding, if you seek it like silver and search for it as for hidden treasures, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God. …